Generally speaking, a Notary Public is required if the document is being sent out of Province. Where a document requires that it be ‘sworn’ to, it can be sworn in front of a Commissioner for Oaths. A Commissioner for Oaths can be found in all law offices but they can also often be found in banks and real estate offices. If you plan on sending your document to another Province or Country, they will usually require that the document be sworn in front of a Notary Public. In Alberta, all lawyers are Notaries Public. Depending upon the nature of the document, we will often provide these services at no or little charge.